Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Cultural Differences

Here's just some follow-up comments to my last post where I am unsettled about the incest in Genesis. I asked if God would endorse incest.

I was reading an Ensign article, "Christ & Culture in the Old Testament." These sentences stood out to me:

"As we approach a study of the Old Testament, many of us may have to overcome conditioning that leads us to look at this rich volume of scripture through the lens of our own culture. Otherwise, imposing modern cultural understandings on a society that existed thousands of years ago will make the Old Testament seem strange or out of touch...We cannot appreciate and understand the Bible if we remove it from its own context and place it in our modern culture. Rather, we have to change our mind-set to better understand the ancient way of life."

My modern mind equates incest with abuse. That probably wasn't the case back then. Incest was the culture in ancient times. Partakers may not have felt at odds with it. Maybe it was necessary due to lack of suitable partners.

I don't like when some people today use the scriptures as an excuse to abuse others, i.e. it's in the Bible, therefore it must be okay. (Yeah, I have issues).

Anyway, this insight on cultural differences is helping me prepare for Sunday's lesson about Abraham obeying God's command to sacrifice Isaac. I initially imagined it through Isaac's eyes and how terrified he must have been, his father is about to kill him because God told him to. One: I thought it was a cruel thing for God to do to a child, and Two: how many quacks in modern history try to pull off a crime by saying God told him to do it?

Maybe Isaac wasn't terrified. Maybe he was honored and had complete, sweet trust in his father just as Abraham had trust in his Heavenly Father. Sacrifice was the norm in ancient history. Most were animal sacrifices, but there were parallel societies that offered human sacrifices, so it wasn't unheard of. Abraham, himself, was almost sacrificed as a lad.

I'm trying to understand, I really am.

2 comments:

  1. Well, hi. here I am again.

    I think there's a lot we just don't know about what exactly Isaac knew. It's mostly speculation...(unless maybe I'm not remembering correctly). Here's the thing that I find relevant/fascinating: Considering all that Abraham went through to get a child, and how much he must've adored that boy, for God to then "take it away" just doesn't really make sense right? (honestly, on some level, it doesn't make sense to me either)
    but.
    For me, when I read and think about this unfathomable experience, I think of all the people I know that have gone through extremely hard things. Who have "given up" (so to speak) that ONE thing that they cared about more than anything else. They were willing to turn it over to God, trusting completely that HE knew and loved them so completely that although things didn't make sense, it would work out. It's not that it made sense to do so, in most instances, it was quite that opposite. It's a surrendering to God's will --that you would be willing to give up that which is most precious to you. I think of my friends who are great with kids who are yearning to be parents but can't have children of their own. Family members who have gone years unable to make financial ends meet. I think of those I know who have endured public humiliation wrongfully.

    Anyway, I wonder if all of us won't be called to go through an "ambrahamic" trial of some sort. You know, think of the ONE thing that would be hardest for you to give up (health? a child? money? stability? a home?) Would I be able to do it?

    Of course not. Right now. But I think God tutors us and prepares us and ultimately needs us to trust him fully.




    ok. this might be the rambliest comment of all time. Feel free to delete if you want. I don't even think I addressed your issue, but rather shared why I find this story fascinating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Katie, I appreciate it so much. I wish I had my scriptures next to me, but I read yesterday after posting that Abraham knew that his seed would continue through Isaac, even if God had to bring him back to life (raise him from the dead). His faith in that was probably passed on the Isaac.

    ReplyDelete