Sunday, February 28, 2010

Abraham To Sacrifice Isaac

This has been quite a journey for me preparing for today's lesson. I love this calling as it pushes me to explore things that I'd rather pretend didn't exist. I have to push aside what I thought I understood and be open to working towards a new understanding.

I was excited to give the lesson today. The kids (14-15 yr olds) were great and seemed to get as into it as I did. I asked them if they thought it was cruel for God to use Isaac to test Abraham especially when God already knew Isaac would be faithful. They all had answers. I asked how they thought Isaac was feeling. Would they be able to sacrifice something they loved dearly?

During this week's preparation, this is what I learned and then discussed with the kids:

How we perceive sacrifice today is different than in ancient times. We sacrifice time and money plus other things. Ancient culture was used to live-animal sacrifice, and some cultures used human sacrifices. Although Abraham and his culture didn't do human sacrifices, it wasn't unheard of with cultures around him. They were conditioned to the concept of it.

Abraham had great faith. Okay, I knew that, but this next scripture quote really sent it home for me:
Hebrews Chapter 11:
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac; and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,
18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall they seed be called:
19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

So, how I understand this scripture (and the Abrahamic Covenent) is Abraham thinks, "Okay, God, you promised me I would have many seed through Isaac. I trust you. I know you are able to raise him from the dead to fulfill that promise if needs be."

Wouldn't that faith be comforting? Do you think if Abraham was comforted, then Isaac would also trust? I wonder what Abraham said to Isaac to keep him calm (scriptures don't indicate a struggle to be bound, Gen. 22:1-13). I wonder if he told him everything would be okay, and he would live one day to have many offspring. I imagine Abraham was a good father to Isaac, and Isaac trusted him as Abraham trusted God.

God knew Abraham would be faithful, but Abraham had to learn that about himself. This faith was also an example to Isaac.

Abraham was willing to sacrifice his precious son as our Father in Heaven was willing to sacrifice His.

I've come to peace with this story. I still don't understand why Sarah gave Abraham to Hagar (other than it was customary to have concubines when wives were barren). Was she impatient to have a child? Did she not have faith? I thought it was sad to send off Ishmael away from his father. It wasn't his fault that Abraham conceived him with Hagar. I'll have to save that for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment